Monday, September 19, 2016

Two Uses For The Word Minute














The word minute can have two entirely different meanings and pronunciations and yet the same spelling.




Minute the noun is the most commonly used one.

definition: 60 seconds.

It takes two hours to clean my apartment and only a minute to mess it up.




Minute the adjective.


definition : small

I have a minute chance of getting into Harvard.



Newt. Bonus word.

definition: any of various small salamanders (family Salamandridae) that are usually semiaquatic as adults.

I surprised my sister by putting a newt in her cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Laughter Means Understanding

  I was teaching last week and for the first time in months I felt the urge to share the original version of the English blooper post.  You ...