Friday, August 12, 2022

Laughter Means Understanding

 



I was teaching last week and for the first time in months I felt the urge to share the original version of the English blooper post.  You can read my motivation for writing this there.   My student is quite young but  she was really laughing when she was reading it. It dawned on me that she was authentically laughing because she authentically knew that the mistakes were so bad they were funny. Laughter means understanding. What would be really funny if I told her where I got these quotes from. Allow me to reiterate, I did not source my material from students. I got them from people who proport to be better than ESL students. Moral of the story:  if your grammar is so bad that a young ESL student finds it laughable then brush up on your subject/ verb agreement, article rules, prepositions , verb tenses , spelling and conjugation. 



Ed








****************************************************





  • Student inform to be absent   ( English major said this) 
  • I was able to see a news 
  • I always had a fruitful conversation with you. See you soon. Stay well. 
  • You have so many food that you eat 
  • What do you think is this? 
  • Travelled but never lived in abroad  
  • work in fast food as a part-time
  • what did you ate for breakfast  ?
  • work in fast food as a part-time
  • She did not speak fast. The phasing was just right for the student. 
  • She goes to the gym every weekend with her husband and go to the grocery store together.
  • She can not teach to a public school in Japan because she is not a Japanese.  
  •  - student answered, unfortunately she will not be able to take the lesson. Call was ended
  • He was 21 years old.  ( You only say this when the person will no longer age. ) 
  • Hi. Good evening you where absent in today's  *****  I hope to see you again next time. ( this was a written note) 
  • Lives to her house for 3yrs. ( if you are like me , then you live to eat but eating is a verb not a noun) 
  • I`m happy to talked with you again Ms ___ .  o :) Thank you so much for sharing a lot of things especially about your passion. You are such an amazing woman. Take care always and have a  great evening! ( first sentence has 2 verbs but the tenses don't match. Read up on infinitives ) 
  • Thank you so much!  Good luck to your studies! ( you don't wish good luck to your studies. You do wish good luck to your brother though)
  • M***  is a very kind students, and she can talk a lot if it is a free talking, just enjoy the the class with her.
  • You've shared an interesting information about your traditional costume. Thanks for sharing! ( look up uncountable nouns) 
  • ..........lesson was ended at 18:55 ( there might be reasons for two verbs both in the past tense to be back to back but I doubt this is one of them). 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Laughter Means Understanding

  I was teaching last week and for the first time in months I felt the urge to share the original version of the English blooper post.  You ...